03 December 2006

Dad's Marathon Birthday

Since his 50th birthday, we've been taking the celebration of Dad's birthday to new heights. There is always a little race car driving at Dave and Busters but the other decathlon of activities are a strange sort of pot luck of fun.



54 -- I arrived to Dave and Busters to find Mother reading a magazine and Daddy, Jenny, and John playing basketball like they were being watched by NBA scouts. We sat down to eat lunch just as Laurie arrived and Jimmy came out from the side room where he was celebrating the birth of the Lord with his co-workers. Getting into a regular vehicle after an hour of racing pretend cars is probably not a good idea. I'm not sure about the others, but poor Margaret was moving like we were on the Audubon. We got to Phipps Plaza right in time to catch the 3:30 showing of the new bond film, Casino Royale. Then to Cheesecake factory for dessert and to Laur's house to present Daddy with our birthday "idea" for him. A dartboard. Approximately 10 days later, we brought one home.

51 -- Jenny was home with a sick baby this year, so we somehow ended up concluding the day with Chinese food from Dynasty III so that we could all be together. but the day started with Laurie and I taking the birthday boy for a run thru a park we found on the internet up near my house. We even wore numbers on our chests that said 51 like a real race. Lunch at Dad's favorite BBQ place, race cars and shooting at Dave and Busters, and home to pick up Mother to go bowling. The girls from the hospital and I had taken Sandy bowling to celebrate her 51st birthday as well. Guess that's what you do to start of the second half of your century here on earth.

52 -- I flew down from Nashville and Jimmy started hanging out enough that he came with this time. Just two months after this picture was taken, Jenny met her husband. Laurie had insanely long hair because she was just about to donate it to the cancer cause.

53 -- I flew down from Nashville and realized that I could never bring a boy to Dad's birthday because he would have to stand back and watch us race cars for we take up all the chairs as it is now. Two weeks after this picture was taken, John asked Jenny if she would be willing to smell his breath for the rest of her life.

No comments: